Got2Run . . . For Education
This event has been designed to promote wellness in school children (and their parents!).
Childhood Obesity Statistics:
* Only 4% of children between the ages of 6 and 11 were considered overweight in a 1971-1974 survey, while 18.8% of children at this age were overweight in a more recent 2003-2004 survey.
* Participating in at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity on most days can help a child maintain a healthy weight.
* More than one or two hours of screen time (TV, computers, video games) each day is a risk factor for childhood obesity.
* Overweight teenagers have a 70% chance of becoming overweight adults.
* Less than one third of adults are at a healthy weight.
Northwest Road Runners is a local running club that was established for the purpose of organizing a kid's running race in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. Our goal is to get kids (and their parents) interested in running as a healthy lifestyle choice, not just for this year, but for the rest of their lives. We are a non-profit 501(c)3 charity which will distribute funds raised back to the schools of the participant's choice to fund activities that encourage wellness.
Northwest suburban school children, parents, teachers and the general public are all encouraged to participate. The event will be promoted to over 100 public and private schools serving over 60,000 children in the northwest suburbs of Chicago including Mt. Prospect, Arlington Hts, Rolling Meadows, Palatine, Elk Grove Village, Prospect Heights, Des Plaines, and Wheeling.
Race will be held in the beautiful Scarsdale and Scarsdale Estates area on the winding tree-lined streets. The 2.62 and 8K will follow the same course until within a block of the 2.62 finish to allow parents to run with their child, then go back out to complete their 8K.
What You Get:
* All participants receive a high quality tech shirt, even youth sizes
* All participants receive a 2.62 bumper sticker for their car to show off just like the marathoners!
* All participants under 20 receive a cool backpack tag with the 2.62 race logo
* All participants receive great healthy food and drink at the finish line courtesy of our wonderful sponsors!